Saturday, May 21, 2016

KIng Bramble

There is a parable that tells how the trees once went forth to anoint a king over them.  They asked the olive tree but the olive tree refused.  "Should I cease giving my oil with which they honor God and men to rule over the trees?"  Then they asked the fig tree but the fig tree refused.  "Should I cease my sweetness and my good fruit?"  When they approached the vine with their offer, the vine also refused.  "Should I cease my new wine which cheers both God and men?"

 However, the bramble accepted, saying, "If in truth you anoint me as king over you, then come and take shelter in my shade; but if not, let fire come out of the bramble and devour the cedars of Lebannon."

And so the trees were stuck with the bramble.

Now the bramble is not without its attractions.  It is covered with blossoms and sometimes its fruit is edible.  But it branches are prickly and offer very little shade; and in a dry season, they can kindle a great consuming fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment