Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Disturbing the Universe



Alfred and I walked along the beach, shoes discarded and trousers rolled.  We watched a pair of ragged claws scuttle across the sand.  Suddenly Alfred paused.
            “Wait,” he said.  “Do you hear it?”
            “Hear what?” I asked.
            “The mermaids!  They are singing to each other!”
            I listened, hearing nothing but the crash of the surf and the cries of the gulls.  I shrugged and shook my head.  He sighed and looked at his feet.
            “I did so hope they were singing to me but now I do not think they ever will.”
            I could see the bald spot in the middle of his head.  I watched his hands squeeze the universe into a ball – his arms and legs so thin.
            I walked out into the waves.  The wind blew the water around me white and black.  Combing my hair from my face, I turned to Alfred and began to sing.


Flash fiction prompt provided by http://www.writerlycorner.com/writerly-prompts/writerly-wednesday-6222016.

4 comments:

  1. Aww...this story tugged at my heart. So compassionate and emotional. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and emotional. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete