I decided before my first treatment that I was going to give my body super-foods to help it recover. I figured that if I was not going to feel like eating (1) I will eat anyway and (2) the foods I ate would build health. So here are my power foods.
- one bowl of Cheerios with milk (no sugar)
- organic whole grain toast, buttered
- one bowl of oatmeal
Mid-Mornng: Kale-Blueberry Smoothie
- one-half leaf of fresh kale, without the stem
- one-half a quarter-size slice of fresh ginger root
- one-third of a banana
- two shakes of organic ground turmeric
- one-half teaspoon of olive oil
- one-half cup of frozen organic blueberries
- one-fourth cup of vanilla almond milk
- one-half cup of milk
- three or four stalks broccoli and three or four cauliflower florets, steamed
- one apple or pear
- one-third cup of cottage cheese
- one boiled egg (hard or soft)
Mid-Afternoon: Plain Greek Yogurt
- Vegetables and Protein, such as beef-vegetable soup, legume soup, grilled salmon or chicken, chicken soup, shepherd's pie, etc.
- a glass of milk and two or three ginger cookies (the Swedish peppar kakor are the best.)
- One of the side effects of the chemotherapy drugs is constipation; the fruit and vegetables help provide natural fiber to promote regularity.
- The ginger helps alleviate nausea.
- Some of the drugs induce osteoporosis; the milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt add calcium.
- Another side effect are canker sores in the mouth and on the tongue; the yogurt adds natural B vitamins which may reduce the eruption of canker sores.
- Blueberries contain anti-oxidants, which help fight cancer.
This is what is working for me. After each chemotherapy infusion, I feel terrible. Like I said, the drugs set off a bomb inside my body from which it has to recover. After the first infusion, it took fifteen days before I felt tolerable. The next time, it took fourteen days to recover. The next two recovery times were eleven days and ten days. I attribute the decreasing recovery time, in part, to the diet I have been following. By faithfully eating the power foods (whether or not I felt like it), I have been giving my body something good to worth with. I share my food list in the hope that it might help others whose bodies are going through a difficult time. Here's to good health.