Thursday, May 4, 2017

Another Game of Love


THWACK!  The dart stuck fast in the tree.

“Well done, Ollie!  I think you’ve got it!”  A chubby youth clapped his hands.

“I don’t know, Stanley,” said his companion.  “I feel ridiculous throwing these things.  It’s just not the same.  I miss my bow and arrow.”

“Listen, after last week’s disaster, we’re fortunate they didn’t take away our wings.”

“But was that our fault?  How were we to know we had a rogue arrow?”

“Hey, it’s our job to test these things before we let them fly.  You know how dangerous they can be.” Stanley shuddered. “When I think of that poor man running from all those women…I still have nightmares.”

“Oh, I don’t know, Stanley.  I think he rather enjoyed it–until his legs got entangled in the hydrangea.  In my opinion, we gave an old gentleman the thrill of a lifetime. But was that even mentioned at the hearing?”

Stanley plumped his arm around Ollie’s shoulders.

“Cheer up, old top. February is months away.  I’m sure we’ll get our arrows back before then.  In the mean time, just keep practicing.”

THWACK!  Another dart hit the tree.





No comments:

Post a Comment