Saturday, May 6, 2017

The (Insert Adjective) Character

I don’t tell a reader that much about a character; I let the reader be in the same room with him or her.  I allow the reader to see what the character does, hear what the character says, and watch how he or she behaves in various situations.  I want readers to form their own relationships with the characters, feeling their own emotions and thinking their own thoughts.

So I was somewhat surprised when I saw a book advertised on the Internet that told everyone what to think and feel about the character–it was in the title of the book (which I am not going to name.)  While this is not something I would recommend, the idea did inspire an amusing activity–renaming well-known novels based on their characters.  Can you guess the original titles?

Revised Book Titles
The Water-Soluble Witch
The Southern Flirt-Bride-Widow-Bride-Widow-Bride-Divorcee
The Prefers-Blood-to-Burritos High School Girl
The Dynamiting Architect
The Scary but Kindly yet Deadly Neighbor

This was fun.  Perhaps that is what the author I mentioned above was doing–just having some fun with us.  I always appreciate a good joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment